FEATURED RECORDING

North Mississippi Allstar February 26, 2010 Highline Ballroom New York, NY Taped and Transferred by T.J. Samulis

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Brew - 08/30/08 - Beer Tent


The Brew is one band at moe.down that may have been hyped more than anyone in recent years. Primarily by word of mouth this group has gotten their name out there. With the exception of Chances Reaching that plays constantly on Jam On, many haven't even heard a note of another song. This was solely because of the dedication of a small but growing group of hardcores. It payed off because The Brew received a generous three sets in the beer tent.




I don't mean to sound negative. I really have nothing against The Brew, in fact I find it admirable. I found it amazing that they built that kind of loyal following in a short amount of time. After talking with a couple of these diehards before their sets, they had me convinced The Brew had something special planned. The first set started off nicely with Hunters Moon and followed shortly after with their first cover of the day. It was Queen's Princes of the Universe.


The Boston based four piece had a really tight sound. Not only could they sing but they wrote some interesting lyrics that I liked. Some of my favorite were in Machine to open the second set:
I don't know if your life is like mine but
I think that its moving too fast
Pressure of tomorrow keeps pressing my mind
I got no time to think about the past
For my money, the second set was the best. Beginning with Machine and continuing through Birds on the Window and Sharks in the Pool, it was money. Then The Brew busts out the ole' Fourplay> Longtime by Boston. They did the often covered (but always rockin'!) song justice. It probably couldn't of been done better. Swiss Radio to end the set was pretty bad ass too.


The ____ as they are sometimes referred to now made me a believer with the second set. I'd check them out whenever they come around, but it seems like they're never visiting Philadelphia (with the exception of Awesometown). They do travel south of Boston and will be at The Note in West Chester with The Heavy Pets and Codename in October. That's sure to be a great show!

No comments: